Monday, October 13, 2014

Surfing The Crimson Wave: Period Slang

Maybe you like to complain about Aunt Flo. Or you tell your friends that today you're riding the cotton pony. Most people have used some sort slang for "I'm on my period" and that's what we're going to look at today. Below is a list of period slang, both typical and unusual.


  • "Erdbeerwoche" (or "Strawberry Week." It's a German phrase.)
  • A visit from Mother Nature.
  • Auntie Flo
  • Bloody Mary
  • Clam with red sauce
  • Cousin from Red River Valley
  • Cousin Red
  • Delicate (as in "I'm feeling delicate." This term makes no sense but I thought I'd include it.)
  • Granny's stuck in traffic
  • Have the painters in
  • In his/her flowers
  • Jenny has a red dress on (This is apparently something people in Latin America say. I thought it was awesome.)
  • Leak week
  • Little Miss Strawberry (Apparently a Japanese term.)
  • Miscarrying Satan's baby
  • Moon Day
  • Mrs. Monthly
  • My friend (as in "I've got my friend with me")
  • My red-headed cousin is visiting
  • On the blob
  • On the rag
  • Opening the flood gates
  • Red tide
  • Ride the cotton pony
  • Ruby red river
  • Santa Claus (as in "Santa Claus came to town," probably said with a grimace.)
  • Satan's sacrificial waterfall (Yes, I have heard this used before.)
  • Shark week (This comes from the myth that if you swim in the ocean while on your flow, sharks will eat you.)
  • Strawberries (Referring to the blood. STRAWBERRIES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.)
  • Surfing the crimson wave
  • That time of the month
  • That time of the month
  • The cranberry woman is coming
  • THE CURSE
  • The mouse has moved in (This refers to the fact that a pad is like a hammock and just the right size for a mouse.)
  • The red flag
  • The red river overflowed
  • The tomato soup is overcooked (My response to this one: ewwwwwww.)
  • The wounded clam
  • TOM (as in "Is TOM here?")
  • Uncle TOM (is visiting)
  • Woman's Day


As menstruating people, we seem to have a lot of different ways to say we're on our period. Why? Why can't we just tell people "I'm on my period"? Getting our period means that we're healthy and able to have babies. It's not something to be embarrassed about. Embrace your body, try not to complain too much about periods and use these slang terms for fun - not to hide( a part of you that is as wonderful as the rest. :) 

2 comments:

  1. That is really weird. I've never used any slang; I always just say, "I'm having my period." xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used 'on my dot' and 'aunt Flo from the Red River is visiting'.
    It also made me laugh when you used the example 'the mouse moved in' because as I am, in fact, Mouse, I certainly have no intentions of snuggling up in my pad for a week.

    ReplyDelete

Release your flow of thoughts