Sunday, November 23, 2014

Periods and your teacher. (Also, grade 7 boys- personal horror story included)

You've tried to avoid it.  We all have.  But sometimes, there comes a moment when talking to your teacher about your period is necessary.  For me, it was necessary in Gifted class in grade 7.  We were working a project where we had to build a stable bridge out of tape, straws, and popsicle sticks.  I was assigned a group with two boys.  While the teacher was handing out the instructions, besides having to use the restroom anyway, I was feeling a little wet.  That's when I remembered that my period was going to be coming soon- and guess who wasn't prepared?!  (Seriously, you'd think I'd learn my lesson at some point, but I still get caught unprepared more than I'd like).  Anyway, as soon as the directions were passed out I asked her if I could go to the bathroom, trying to angle my butt away from people's view as much as possible.  She told me to wait until she finished explaining.  Since I was lucky enough to have a female teacher, I lowered my voice and said, "I really need to go, please.  It's a girl emergency." She told me that I couldn't go at that second, but she did say for me to just leave as soon as she stopped talking and not bother coming back up. 

I left while still trying to hide my butt, doing this weird sideways walk, and when I got to the bathroom I saw a huge bloodstain.  And I had drama practice until 5pm!  That was 4 hours away!

As embarrassing as it was, I learned a few helpful things about talking to your teacher about your period.

1. Be polite.  Don't get mad at your teacher for not letting you leave, or they might not let you go at all.

2. Know your teacher.  If they have (or had) periods, too, then you can be more discreet about how you say it than if your teacher is biologically male.  In which case, it's probably better to be more blunt.  (But not overly descriptive- be reasonable.  What do they really need to know?  Tell them that and nothing more.)

3. Don't be too shy to say something.  Your problem will only get worse, I promise.

4. Don't speak loudly enough for classmates to hear.  This goes without saying- they don't need to know what's going on.

5. I had a pad I could use, but if your teacher has periods, and if you don't have anything to use, don't be afraid to ask them.  (Or if not, ask for a quarter to get one from the restroom and pay them back later).  This goes with number 3- while hard to do, it will help more than hurt and teachers usually understand, even if you don't think they like you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Release your flow of thoughts