Saturday, November 1, 2014

All the World's a Stage- A Personal Horror Story

This summer, I went to an acting class at a local park. It was mostly focused on improvising, but we had a few scenes to memorize for a little performance on the last day. On the morning of the last day, my flow started. Luckily, I knew it was coming soon and I had a few pads with me. My clueless teacher thought I was pretending to have to go to the bathroom so I could text my friends or something, so it took some convincing for him to let me go, but it all worked out just fine. At this point, you're probably wondering why this is a horror story, right? I'm getting to that part. Well, later that night, we were all ready to leave for the performance. We had to pick up my dad from work on the way to the park, so we left early to make sure we were there on time. Unfortunately, we got stuck in rush-hour traffic. We barely made it to the park on time. I was about to run over to the backstage area where the other three kids were waiting when my mom pointed out a giant bloodstain on the back of my pants. I hadn't thought to bring a spare set of clothes, and it was too late to go back home. I tied my hoodie around my waist and walked over, and I had just enough time to change my pad, but I had to take the hoodie off to go onstage. So I ended up onstage for half an hour with a giant bloodstain, which was really embarrassing. Luckily, one of the first rules of acting is to never turn your back completely to the audience, so it's not like I had to do that, but still. I know some people saw it. And of course, the one boy in our class noticed and made several obnoxious comments. Then we ended up staying for three more hours, since there was another full-length play afterwards... anyway, you get the point. It was not the most pleasant night I've ever had. And the moral of the story is: bring extra clothing when you're on your flow, even if you think you won't need them. It doesn't hurt to be a little more prepared than you thought you'd need to be. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Release your flow of thoughts